Many DIY experts suggest taping the glass before painting a window frame, muntin, or sash so that you don’t get paint on the glass. In case you forget to tape or you simply decide not to do so, you don’t need to worry because we have found easy tips to remove paint from windows. Here’s how to do it:
- Lay down a drop cloth in the area where you will be working.
- Prepare a soap solution using warm water and one or two tablespoons of dishwashing liquid. Mix slowly without making the solution too bubbly. Transfer to a spray bottle or leave the solution in the bucket.
- Spray the soap solution generously on your windows or apply liberally using a cloth.
- Score the edge of the window pane with a utility knife very gently to avoid scratching the glass.
- Using a glass scraper or wallpaper shaver held at a 30-45 degree angle, scrape all of the paint off the glass. Clean the edge of the scraper from time to time so as not to scratch the glass.
- Dry the window and the trim around it.
- Once done, you can clean your windows with a window cleaner and wipe dry with newspaper or a cloth.
There you go. In just seven very easy steps, you can quickly remove paint from window glass.