Sidelight panels by your entry door make your home brighter and sunnier. They set your home apart from others with their unique and stylish design. However, just like any other window panes, sidelight panels can leak, especially when exposed to harsh weather conditions. If not attended to immediately, this leakage can cause further damage to your sidelights, resulting in energy inefficiency and costly repairs in the future.
Here are simple steps to repair leaking sidelight windows:
- Find the leak in your sidelight panels by looking for broken or cracked glass, as well as ineffective seals between the glass and frame;
- Remove the sealant completely from the leaking area to ensure that the new layer of sealant adheres properly;
- Evenly insulate the area by spraying foam insulation and allowing it to dry for about 30 minutes;
- Seal the gap using a silicone caulking gun;
- After letting the caulk dry for about 20 hours, clean any caulk marks with a cloth dampened with turpentine and check to ensure that there are no cracks in the caulking.