Burglary is one of the scariest things that can happen to your home. And if you have French doors that lead to an outdoor area, that may be a great entry point for intruders. Burglars can easily see through your French doors, and the glass in the doors can be easily broken. So what can you do with French doors to prevent burglary?
Here are some French door security tips shared by SF Gate.
1. Door locks and hinges
- Doors will be more secure when long screws and sturdy locks are used.
- The use of a three-point locking mechanism is also great for French doors.
- If you have a pair of French doors, you can permanently lock one of the doors to make it more difficult to break the doors open.
2. French door materials
- If you prefer wooden French doors, make sure you choose the thickest option, which will be sturdier compared to thinner doors.
- If you are worried about the glass in your French doors, consider choosing durable hurricane-rated glass.
- You can also add a steel frame to improve the security of your French doors or change the frame of your French doors from wood to steel.
3. Security bars and alarms
- Put a security bar at an angle between your door and the floor to prevent the door from opening, especially at night or when no one is home.
- Install a security alarm that will warn you if a break-in is detected near your French doors.
These quick tips can provide added security to your French doors and make for a safer home.