Surface bolts can give you more peace of mind when the security of your family is concerned. A post at Chic Little House describes how surface bolts were installed to prevent kids from opening the French doors and going out into the yard unsupervised. The surface bolts, however, provided more than just security; they also added sophistication to the homeowner’s French doors. Surface bolts come in different sizes, styles, and colors that can complement your door no matter what style of home you have.
Here are the basic steps to install surface bolts on your French doors:
- Purchase a surface bolt. Consider the size, style, and color you want.
- Gather a tape measure, pencil, and drill.
- Mark the position where you want the surface bolt to be placed on both the door and the inside frame.
- Mark the place for and then install the upper plate inside the door jamb.
- Mark the bolt position of the brackets on your door and then install.
In just about 10 minutes, you can be finished installing this simple French door hardware.