The Christmas season is as exciting a time of year for burglars as it is for kids and families. Burglars know that a lot of brand new items are appearing in homes during this season, and they may notice that you are away on vacation for the holidays. But don’t let the fear of intruders ruin your holidays. Just make sure you consider the following home tips for a safer Christmas season:
- Keep your windows and doors closed, locked, and secured.
- Make sure valuables and gifts are not visible to passersby and possible burglars.
- Use lighting outside your house, as well as motion sensors.
- Shrubs and plants can be great hiding places for burglars so be sure to trim them and keep doors and windows clear.
- If you have an alarm system, ensure that it works and that it is correctly installed and programmed.
- If you are going on a vacation, suspend all mail deliveries or ask a neighbor to collect it for you so that burglars will not be tipped off to your absence by full mailboxes or piles of newspapers.
- Let trusted neighbors know if you are going on a vacation so they can keep an eye on your place and inform you if something suspicious is going on.
- Inform the police if you are going out of town. Many police departments will provide periodic home checks for those who are away for the holidays.