A sun shade, or solar shade, is a window treatment that helps cool your home by shielding it from direct sunlight. Unlike curtains, blinds, and other shades that are installed indoors, sun shades are installed outside your house. If you are torn between installing indoor window treatments and sun shades, learning more about the following benefits of sun shades might help you weigh your options.
- Reduce the need for cooling systems, thus reducing energy costs;
- Allow some light and air to filter through because of breathable fabrics;
- Lessen heat transfer by blocking a large amount of sunlight from penetrating windows;
- Protect indoor furniture and fixtures from the UV rays that eventually fade, crack, and destroy them;
- Are easy to maintain, weather-resistant, and mildew-resistant; and
- Provide privacy.
Aside from these benefits, sun shades also look wonderful no matter what the style of your home.