The large transparent glass panes of your sliding doors provide a great view of the outdoors, but they are also very attractive to burglars and can make your home more vulnerable to break-ins. However, these do not have to be reasons for not installing sliding doors in your home. Here are some helpful tips to ensure sliding door safety at home:
- Fit a dowel rod into the track of your sliding door to stop the door from sliding open.
- Install a security sensor that triggers an alarm when your sliding door is forcibly opened.
- Set up a shatter alarm that signals you when your sliding glass door breaks.
- Insert a metal screw or washer on top of the frame to stop the glass panels from being elevated and lifted off the track.
- Replace the usual sliding glass door latch with a sturdier lock, such as one that is double-bolted.