Our previous post talked about different door frame materials and shapes in general. In this post, we will outline the benefits and drawbacks of choosing an aluminum door frame for your home.
Aluminum is a popular choice among homeowners, but is it the right material for your door frame? Let the following information serve as your guide. You can also click here to read the full details.
- Just like steel and fiberglass frames, aluminum door frames are naturally resistant to the elements, which is a great feature for exterior doors especially when compared to wooden door frames.
- Aluminum door frames are more resilient than hardwood or iron- or copper-based frames and are also cheaper.
- They are lighter, thus making them easier to install.
- Aluminum door frames are also easier to maintain because they don’t need periodic repainting or staining.
- Finally, they are visually appealing, either untreated with their silver-like appearance or painted in the color of your choice.
- Aluminum door frames can result in mold-related problems.
- Although aluminum door frames have a particular aesthetic of their own, nothing beats the beauty of hardwood.
- If the aluminum threshold inserted along an aluminum door frame gets damaged, a replacement one is needed, which can be expensive.
With this information, you should be able to make a good decision about whether an aluminum door frame or another option is the right choice for your home. Let us know your thoughts.