Small children can accidentally get caught up in the loose cords and chains of window blinds and curtains and die from strangulation. This is a real tragedy, but it’s one that can be prevented. If you have a small child (especially one who is 3 years old or younger) or one who visits your home, use these practical tips to keep him or her safe:
- Set all beds, furniture, and cots away from windows with blinds or curtains.
- Make sure that blind and curtain cords and chains are securely out of your child’s reach.
- Carefully follow installation and maintenance instructions included in the packaging.
- Read through all warnings and cautions in the instruction manual.
- If possible, purchase blinds or curtains that do not have cords or chains.
- When purchasing new (or used) blinds, make sure they…
- Meet current safety standards .
- Include a safety device for the cords or chains.
Watch the video to get a clearer picture of how to keep your child safe around blinds and curtains:
You can also read more safety tips here: Windows and Blinds Safety