Disassembling a sliding glass door needs to be done properly to avoid breaking the door or any of its parts. Whether you just need to replace the rollers or you need to replace the glass doors themselves, here are the steps you can follow to correctly disassemble the door:
- Remove the adjustment screw covers usually found at the bottom or on the side edge of the sliding glass doors. Turn the screws counter-clockwise.
- Take out the screws on the head stop of the sliding door.
- Slide the movable side of the glass door towards the center of its track. With a helper, tilt the top of the door towards you and lift it up.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to remove your sliding screen door.
- Take off the screws holding the fixed door on its tracks. With a helper, tilt the top of the fixed glass door towards you and lift it up.
- Using a pry bar, remove the track and door jamb if you are going to replace both the sliding doors and the tracks.
For this project, always remember to have a helper assist you in lifting the glass doors to reduce the chance that you will break the glass or injure yourself in the process.