Imagine having large windows in your home that do not limit the view of your scenic backyard. But that’s not the only beautiful thing about having large windows. Here are some clear benefits of large picture windows:
- They allow natural light to fill your home, which generally helps you feel healthier and more alert;
- Large windows, when properly designed and situated, can increase heat, which is especially helpful during winter;
- They bring the outdoors in, adding a beautiful backdrop to your indoor décor and even having a positive effect on your sense of well-being.
- They are functionally artistic and make your home more visually appealing, which adds to the resale value of your home.
If you want to have large windows at home, here are some factors to consider when purchasing and installing such windows:
- Design. Large windows can be designed to minimize glare during sunny days or to take advantage of passive solar heat gain during winter.
- Operability. Large windows can either be operable to allow for ventilation or fixed as in the case of picture windows. You can also install a combination of both picture and operable windows.
- Manufacturing. It is important to find a reliable manufacturer that provides quality glass and frames, as well as professionals who can properly install your large windows with the proper seals.
- Energy-efficiency. Make sure you choose energy-efficient glass, paying special attention to glass windows with a low u-value and those that are Energy Star certified.
- Framing. Choose well-insulated frames for your large windows and avoid metal that is a heat conductor. Fiberglass frames are a better option.