Looking for a way to update your front door without spending a lot of money? Before replacing your door’s hardware, try repaintng the existing knobs, locks, and hinges with metal spray paint. If these important parts of your door are damaged, rusted or no longer functioning, be sure to either repair or replace them. But, if they are working well but you’d like a fresh look or a different color to match your exterior (or interior) design, then repainting them is a wonderful solution that can save both time and money. How to tips are in this article, Update Door Hardware with Paint.
Here’s what you’ll need for the project:
- Camera – to capture the steps when disassembling the hardware, like your doorknob. This will make reassembling the hardware much easier.
- Marker or Pen – to label the photographed images. (You can also record and label parts on your mobile phone.)
- Steel wool – to clean your hardware before repainting.
- Sandpaper – to prepare hardware before repainting.
- Painter’s tape – to protect paint from going into the lock mechanism.
- Floral foam -to hold hardware when repainting.
- Metal paint primer -for the first coat, before the paint.
- Metal spray paint – the final paint to make the hardware look brand new.
Are you ready to do it yourself?