Are you in the initial phase of getting a new exterior door? “Exterior Doors” is a short article published at The House Designers, which can give you an idea of the common types of exterior doors and the materials that are used to make them. If you are thinking specifically of your front door, this can jump start your research.
There are 3 common types of exterior doors and a short description of each:
- Paneled doors – are doors with raised inserts and are usually designed with style in mind.
- Flush doors – are doors with smooth veneer covering made either of an inexpensive material or costly exotic wood.
- Glass insert doors – vary from small windowpanes in entry doors to full-size panes in patio doors.
Because there are different types of exterior doors, there are also different materials used for them. The most common are the following:
- Wood – is the most popular material used for exterior doors. The cost may vary depending on the kind of wood used.
- Steel – is fast becoming a popular material for exterior doors because steel doors tend to be more secure.
- Fiberglass – is ideal for humid areas and has the least maintenance compared to other door materials.
- Aluminum – does not rust, has longer warranty, and is lightweight. It is best for custom made doors with peculiar shapes or openings.
Do you find this informative? Your feedback is very much appreciated.