Not only do leaky doors allow uninvited guests like bugs and insects into your house, but they also cause your energy bill to soar high. An important fix for this problem is to seal loose doors using a weatherstripping kit for the top and side of your door, as well as a door sweep for the gap between the bottom of your door and the floor.
The Family Handyman walks you through the steps for how to install a weatherstripping kit and door sweep to your door. Here’s an introduction to the process…
How to install a weatherstripping kit:
- Check and tighten loose hinges.
- Measure the door jamb.
- Cut the top foam piece of the weatherstripping.
- Nail the top piece to the wood flange.
- Cut the sides of the weatherstripping to fit with the top piece.
- Adjust the cut by sanding or filing for a tighter fit.
- Test the fit of the weatherstripping by opening and closing the door several times.
How to install a door sweep:
- Measure the width of the door from the inside and mark your door sweep.
- Cut the door sweep.
- Position the door sweep and mark the holes for your screws.
- Attach the sweep and test the seal.
- Seal the bottom corners.
These simple steps come with photos to make this DIY project easier.