One of the most common problems that homeowners encounter when painting their sash windows is that the sashes stick together. The simple solution to avoid this outcome is to paint them in the correct order. But what is the correct order?
DIY Doctor shares the right order for painting your sash window to avoid sticking. Here is the summary:
- Remove any hardware from the window frame, including locks and handles.
- Reverse the sashes by lifting the bottom sash up and pushing the top sash down.
- Paint the bottom sash, which you have pushed to the top.
- Paint the mullions of the sash that you have lowered.
- Paint the face of the frame on the lower sash that you have pushed up.
- Paint the underside of the allowance where the top sash will push when done with the painting.
- Paint the remaining mullions and frames.
- Paint the frame casing and the sill.