If you want a simple way to decorate your windows that doesn’t involve hanging curtains or installing shades and blinds, you can try a window scarf.
A window scarf is a piece of fabric that can be hung on the sides or in front of your windows. You can use the curtain rod or bracket that you already have, hang the fabric on it, and style it in any way you want.
Here is how you can make and style a window scarf:
- Purchase the fabric of your choice in a length that is twice the area you want to cover.
- Lay the fabric on a flat surface to cut it as needed.
- Fold the cloth lengthwise in an accordion-style and secure with safety pins.
- If you don’t already have a rod installed, mount two brackets on the sides of the window and lay a rod across them.
- Secure the window scarf using thumb tacks next to the brackets.
- Drape the scarf on the pole and then remove the safety pins.
- Remove the thumb tacks and adjust the ends of the scarf as needed.
- Pull the center of the fabric down slightly from the top of the window to make a curve.
When hanging a window scarf, make sure to coordinate the color and design of the fabric with the style of your room or your house to ensure that the window treatment complements your style and overall aesthetic.