Just because your basement windows may be shielded by potted plants or bushes doesn’t mean burglars can’t enter your house through that entry point. In fact, these windows might be their favorite option because it’s difficult for homeowners or passersby to see someone crawling behind plants and then through a basement window.
Since basement windows are just as important to secure as other windows and entry doors, here are some basement window security tips to consider:
- Make sure your visible basement windows are free from plants and shrubs that provide cover for intruders;
- Install window security bars;
- If you don’t like the look of security bars, apply security film on the window glass;
- Include basement windows in your home security systems; and
- Protect your home from the inside by moving furniture away from windows, making it more difficult for burglars to climb down into your basement.