Ron Hazelton, the former home improvement editor for Good Morning America, is a leading authority in DIY home improvement. He has his own series, Ron Hazelton’s Housecalls, which is in its 12th season.
If you’re thinking of upgrading your old patio door, his post will walk you through the process. It includes step-by-step instructions with a video to follow.
Here’s an outline of the basic steps…
- Remove the existing interior trim.
- Begin to disassemble the door.
- Know the potential exterior difficulties.
- Remove the remaining fasteners in the old patio door.
- Prepare the rough opening to receive the new patio door.
- Ensure that the opening is water tight.
- Set the new door in place.
- Secure the new door.
- Finish screwing the door into the opening.
- Install the exterior trim.
- Install the interior trim.
- Install the finishing touches.
Eager to do it yourself? Watch the tutorials now at: How to Install a Sliding Patio Door.