Installing a key lock on your sliding door can make your patio door a more accessible, alternative entry door. When installed on the inside, a lock can help prevent children from leaving your home unsupervised and prevent intruders from barging into your house.
If you are planning on installing a key lock on your sliding glass door, follow these easy steps:
- With a clean cloth and hot soapy water, clean the frame of your sliding glass door and let dry completely.
- Mark the safe area of the frame where there is no glass. You can find this area by tapping the frame and listening closely until you hear the sound change.
- Hold the lock up to the safe area to determine and mark where the screws and lock will go.
- Make a hole on the marks by gently tapping a metal punch through them.
- Drill out the hole for the lock until it fits, as well as for any other screws. Secure the lock with mounting screws.
- Determine and mark the area on the door frame for your latch plate.
- Drill the holes for the latch plate. Mount it and secure with screws.
- Test the lock.